Rhea Wolfram was born in 1919 in Newport News, VA. Rhea and her late husband, Dr. Julius, a cardiologist, eventually moved to Dallas, where Rhea became an important leader in the Jewish community. She has been a member of the National Council of Jewish Women, Hadassah, and the American Jewish Committee. Additionally, Rhea has also served the greater Dallas community in many respects through her work in the auxiliary to the Dallas County Medical Society, as president of Friends of the Dallas Public Library, as a participant in the White House Conference on Children and Youth, as a member of the Dallas City Council Flood Control and Drug Committees, and also as co-founder of the Texas Association for College Admission Counseling. Rhea and her late husband have been blessed with three sons. Click on the image to watch the video, or click here.
Maxine Waldman was born in Chicago, IL, in 1922 and moved to Houston with her family when she was five years old. Then, at the age of 12, the family moved to Dallas. Maxine started her college education at the University of Oklahoma and finished her degree at Southern Methodist University in Dallas. Maxine and her husband, Erwin, got married at the old Shearith Israel when they were still in college at SMU. After years of working in various industries, Erwin and his brothers created Waldman Bros, an insurance agency. As a member of the Dallas Jewish community, Maxine has spent many dedicated years working with Shearith Israel, the National Council of Jewish Women, Jewish Family Service, the Jewish Community Center, and as a BBYO Advisor. Click on the image to watch the video, or click here.
Among the many collections to explore, the archives of the Dallas Jewish Historical Society, located in the Aaron Family JCC, houses a collection from one of Dallas’s premier department stores of the 20th century. Titche’s, or Titche–Goettinger’s as it was known, was opened in downtown Dallas in 1902, by Edward Titche and Max Goettinger. Originally located at the corner of Elm and Murphy Streets in downtown Dallas, the store moved in 1904 to the Wilson building and then again when it built its flagship location at St. Paul Street, between Elm and Main Streets, which was then considered “Uptown”. At this new, much larger location the store successfully competed for Dallas’s growing fashion-conscious consumer and expanded the number of stores. Over the years, Titche-Goettinger was sold to larger retail conglomerates, who later shortened the name to Titche’s when the store expanded into the suburbs in the 1960’s and 1970’s. The name was changed again from Titche’s to Joske’s (its sister department store chain) until the then-owners (Allied) sold the stores to Dillard’s in 1987. The flagship location in downtown Dallas was closed after the Dillard’s acquisition. This collection, generously given to the DJHS by Ellis…
Beverly Tobian was born in 1924 in Omaha, Nebraska. Beverly has had a profound impact on Dallas’s Jewish community through her involvement in many organizations throughout the community. She has also been honored with a couple of awards that demonstrate the hard work she has performed. Click on the image to watch the video, or click here.
Sarah Yarrin was born and raised in Tyler, TX, with her three sisters: Fanny, Marilyn and Ruthie. Sarah’s father came from Poland to Galveston without his parents, and her mother came to Tyler, Texas, at the age of 16. Sarah married Marvin Yarrin z”l and moved to Dallas, Texas, where they raised three daughters. She has passionately stated that one should look forward but never forget the past, which she demonstrates through her involvement and work with the Dallas Holocaust Museum and as a Life Member of the Dallas Jewish Historical Society Board of Directors. Additionally, as a very musical woman, Sarah has long been an active member of the Temple Emanu-El choir. Click on the image to watch the video, or click here.
Ida Strasmick and Miriam Vernon, sisters and native Dallasites, have been hard-working members and volunteers in the Dallas Jewish community for many years, with a particularly strong tie to Temple Emanuel. Click on the image to watch the video, or click here.