With the current ongoing health crisis, DJHS has made the difficult decision to postpone ¡Viva Shalom! until the Fall of 2020. Information will be sent once we are able to select a new date.
Thank you for your support, and if you haven’t already, please be sure to check out the survey link below.
What is One Story at a Time? “One Story at a Time… ¡Viva Shalom! Celebrating Latin American Jews in Dallas” honors the vibrant Latin American Jewish community in Dallas through our Oral History project. Come hear their stories of how and why they made the decision to come to Dallas.
A Brief History: Although most people assume that most Jews in Latin America came from Spain or Portugal with explorers of the New World, in fact the largest populations in Latin America were due to the influx of Jewish refugees during the late 19th century, and the mass emigration of European Jews during and after World War II.
The largest communities were located in Suriname and Brazil, and many immigrants were drawn to Jewish communities in the Caribbean and Central and South America, where Dutch and English control created an atmosphere of tolerance.
Today, the largest populations of Latin American Jews are located in Argentina, Brazil, and Mexico, with Argentina considered to be the center of Jewish population in Latin America.
To help connect present and future generations with Jewish Dallas
To preserve and protect collections of written, visual and audible materials that document the history of the Dallas Jewish community, to make these materials available to the public and researchers, and to keep the past as a living legacy for our community
What is the Dallas Jewish Historical Society?
- DJHS is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
- We acquire and preserve personal papers, organizational records, photographs, and memorabilia documenting Dallas Jewish community history.
- We serve as an educational research center for historians, writers, students, and genealogists.
- We provide an Annual Lecture series, workshops, and other community programming.
- We record and make available the oral history interviews of individuals and families in the Dallas Jewish community.
- We present exhibits on various aspects of Dallas Jewish community history.
- We are a community partner of the Jewish Federation of Greater Dallas