All Posts By

DJHS Admin

From the Archive

BBYO 1956 – Montgomery Alabama

Here we have a framed photograph taken by Paul Robertson of the BBYO District 7 convention that was held at Huntington College June 5- 10, 1956 in Montgomery, Alabama. Alabama is now part of region #72, “Cotton States Region”, which includes Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arkansas. With 50 countries involved in the BBYO sorority and fraternities, and a total of 700 chapters worldwide, the BBYO has grown substantially since this photo was taken in 1956. From the Ynette & Jim Hogue Collection https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117199/m1/1/
DJHS Admin
August 6, 2020
From the Archive

John Chamberlain Art With Unknown Man

Here we have a photo of a man in front of the piece, Dancing Duke, 1974, by the artist John Chamberlain (1927-2011). This piece was donated to the Dallas Museum of Art by Dr. and Mrs. Harold J. Joseph in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Max Walen, who are the donors of a John Chamberlain piece at the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth. We need help identifying the man in this photograph. The photograph is in a custom frame and mat produced by a local framing shop that opened in 1985. The man's glasses look to be from the 80’s, and the brick wall makes me think of NorthPark mall, because such famous art hangs on its walls. But we can find no evidence that it was ever shown at NorthPark mall. John Chamberlain was an artist that worked in photography, prints, paintings, furniture, and 3D sculpture. He is well known for his large sculptures that utilize car and metal scraps turned into sculpture designs.  Currently, John Chamberlain has works at The Dallas Museum of Art, Nasher Sculpture Center, and the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth. https://collections.dma.org/artwork/3251414
DJHS Admin
August 4, 2020
From the Archive

Apparel Mart

This is the first key given to the first tenant of Apparel Mart in Dallas. Located by the Dallas Market Center on Stemmons Freeway, Apparel Mart opened its doors to the public on October, 25 1964. Apparel Mart closed in 2003 with the wholesale market changing predominantly to New York and Los Angeles. Apparel Mart, once made up of 1.6 million square feet, and showed designers like Oscar De La Renta,  Pierre Cardin. Apparel Mart was a hub for international retailers and famous designers, as well as a site for lavish parties and the filming Logan's Run. From the Marcy Lee Manufacturing Company Collection https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Dallas-Apparel-Mart-to-close-2114618.ph https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/1984/april/anatomy-of-the-apparel-mart/
DJHS Admin
July 30, 2020
From the Archive

Jean David Brooch – 1977

This brooch or pendant, depending on how you wear it, was created in 1977 by the artist Jean David, who was once a member of the Surrealist group "Unu." He worked with many artistic mediums like ceramics, painting, collage, and wall hangings, while gaining a reputation as a muralist and poster designer thanks to his colorful, florid aesthetic. The design of this brooch comes in various styles some silver, or gold, some with no stone, some with turquoise or in this case a red stone. But the design of it truly reflects his modern, surrealist, abstract style of work.  From the Ginger Jacobs Collection           See more of his artwork here ----> https://www.invaluable.com/artist/david-jean-1908-zpbosdh752/sold-at-auction-prices/ https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jean-David-Tourist-Trio-Israeli-Jewish-Romanian-Ink-Collage-Modern-Art-/382987771104 https://www.wikiart.org/en/jean-david  
DJHS Admin
July 28, 2020
From the Archive

Commemorative Coin of Israel from 1971

This lucite paperweight contains a commemorative coin of Israel from 1971. One side of the coin shows The Knesset building, and the opposite side shows the city of Jerusalem. Annually, a commemorative coin is released to honor the independence of Israel and highlight an achievement of the nation. Jakob Zim (1920-2015) was the artist of the coin. Known for his paintings he also designed the symbol of the city of Netanya on the 5000 shekel banknote for the Bank of Israel in 1984. The Knesset building located in Jerusalem, holds the uni-cameral house of representatives for the State of Israel, with 120 members. “The name "Knesset" derives from the "Great Knesset" ("Great Assembly") which convened in Jerusalem after the return of the Jews to Eretz Yisrael from the Babylonian exile in the fifth century B.C.E” (http://www.knesset.gov.il/history/eng/eng_hist.htm). https://museum.imj.org.il/artcenter/newsite/en/?artist=Zim,%20Jakob,%20Israeli,%20born%20Poland,%201920-2015 https://en.israelmint.com/default/15046702.html  
DJHS Admin
July 23, 2020
From the Archive

Torah Fund Brooch – Eytan Brandes

Jewelry designer Eytan Brandes from California designed this 2010-2011 (5771) brooch given to donors of the Torah Fund. “Women’s League and Torah Fund are proud to support the education of the future rabbis, cantors, educators, and scholars who will serve as the gifted leaders and innovators of the Conservative Movement.” Since its inception in 1942, the Torah Fund has raised more than 95 million dollars. “The Torah Fund Campaign of Women’s League for Conservative Judaism is the dedicated philanthropy of Women’s League, its members, and its affiliated sisterhoods in Conservative congregations across North America.”  Kehillah Kedoshah: Celebrating Community Woman to Woman: The 5771 Torah Fund Pin commemorates the energizing power of women's community. Kehillah Kedoshah was the common term for Jewish community in Eastern Europe, but it also implies a community bound together by similar values and beliefs. The images contained within this stylized hamsa* pin reflect women in celebration, dancing and praising. The pin’s golden flame, representing the Women's League logo, alludes to our members who are committed to a common purpose and the unbreakable bonds of Sisterhood.  From the Ginger Jacobs Collection http://s3.amazonaws.com/fedweb-assets/103/199/Volume%25203%2520Issue%25201January%25202011.pdf http://www.jtsa.edu/torah-fund
DJHS Admin
July 21, 2020
From the Archive

Ingeborg Israelski Czerner Photograph

Framed photograph of Martha Lubrjanezki Israelski (mother), Ingeborg Israelski Czerner (1926-1993) (left), and probably Manfred Israelski (Brother)(right). Donated by the daughter of Ingeborg, Michelle Czerner, in 2014. Martha Lubrjanezki Israelski passed away at the Theresienstadt concentration camp in Czechoslovakia in 1944. In 1990 Ingeborg Israelski Czerner created an Oral History that is currently at the UNT archives   https://oralhistory.unt.edu/oh-0846
DJHS Admin
July 16, 2020
From the Archive

Pi Tau Pi Conclave Host Ribbon

Pi Tau Pi Fraternity was founded November 9, 1909 by Fred Wolff, Al V. Levy, Harry Oppenheimer, and R. W. Apte. It was local to St. Louis, Missouri, but became a national co-ed charter. It was created with the intent, “to promote and encourage Judaism; to advance Hebraic culture; to aid in the abolishment of prejudice against the Jew; and to further activities social and philanthropic.” This host nametag for May Sebel is from the Pi Tau Pi conclave, or alumni meetup, that occurred in Dallas July 4-7, 1962. While it is unclear what activities occurred during the conclave, the theme seemed to be “Do It In Dallas,” as it says on the nametag. The Pi Tau Pi fraternity disbanded in 1967, 5 years after this conclave; however, there are many Jewish fraternities that exist today.   https://web.tul-infra.page/finding_aids/pi-tau-pi-fraternity-records
DJHS Admin
July 9, 2020
From the Archive

Landsberg, Germany – Wooden Bowl

This wooden bowl with decorative painted flowers looks to be a souvenir from Landsberg Germany. Landsberg is home to the prison which once imprisoned Adolf Hitler after the failed Munich Beer Hall Putsch. He was imprisoned in 1924 and served less than a half a year in the prison. “Hitler also famously used his time of incarceration in Landsberg to write his book, 'Mein Kampf' one of the major pieces of propaganda that would push Germans towards the Nazi party.” Sources indicate, “after WWII the US Army took over and Landsberg Prison became War Criminal Prison No. 1, the main holding cell for captured Nazis. Over a five year period between 1945 and 1950 over 278 Nazi’s were executed at the prison for their crimes against humanity.” The Kaufering Concentration Camp located in Landsberg was a subcamp of Dachau. It is the only privately owned concentration camp site in Germany. In 2018, the mayor of Landsberg, Mathias Neuner, stated that a permanent historical exhibition was in the works.     Sources: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/landsberg-prison-where-hitler-wrote-mein-kampf https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/kaufering https://www.thejc.com/news/news-features/german-town-where-nothing-happened-confronts-nazi-past-landsberg-am-lech-1.468210
DJHS Admin
July 7, 2020
From the Archive

Creative Contest Ribbon – Temple Emanu-El Sisterhood

This first place creative contest ribbon given out by the Temple Emanu-El sisterhood on October 15, 1974, was given to Helen Loeb for her knitting. In 1974, the president of the Temple Emanu-El WRJ/Sisterhood was Janie Rosenthal. The sisterhood has been involved with crafts since 1920 when a newly purchased organ was bought, they paid it off selling their own hand-made goods. This women’s society began back in 1886 at Temple Emanu-El. They state “Community service began with visits to the sick and needy as well as assistance to Jewish immigrants settling in Dallas.” While the Sisterhood isn’t meeting in person during the Coronavirus, they keep up with one another virtually, this includes wellness events, socials, and book clubs.  From the May Sebel Collection
DJHS Admin
July 2, 2020