Category

From the Archive

From the Archive

Julius Schepps Community Center groundbreaking shovel

On June 22, 1958 the television station WBAP-TV stated on their broadcast “The Dallas’ Jewish community turns out this evening at Northaven and Valleydale for the birth of a new community center.” “The mayor praises a friend of 36 years Julius Schepps, for whom the new center is named - as a “front-row citizen...one of the men who made Dallas the great city it is” (UNT Digital Library). This hand shovel was used at the Julius Schepps community center groundbreaking on April 9, 1961. The Julius Schepps Community Center, is now The Aaron Family Jewish Community Center of Dallas; whose mission is to bring the community together by providing state-of-the-art facilities and exceptional programs in an inclusive environment defined by Jewish values and culture.  
DJHS Admin
May 5, 2020
From the Archive

70th Anniversary Plate, The Lorch Company, 1909-1979

“In 1888 a 27-year-old foot peddler named August Lorch came to Dallas to sell dry goods and shoestrings, and in 1892 he was doing well enough to become a one-horse peddler; the next year he got a second horse” (Texas Monthly September 1982). Founded in 1909 in Dallas, The Lorch Company became the oldest privately owned women's apparel company in the United States. The Lorch Company created garments utilizing cotton for not only informal attire, but dressier cotton looks for women to survive the Texas heat. They were also part of the Dallas manufacturers that recognized and utilized new “synthetic” fabric that resisted wrinkles.  During World War II The Lorch Company helped in the production of nurse uniforms, as well as created more practical clothes for the women at home. “The retirement of Lester Lorch, the death in 1987 of A. Lorch Folz, and a devastating fire at the Dallas plant in June 1989 necessitated the closing of the company in 1991” (Texas State Historical Association). From the Lorch Company Collection
DJHS Admin
April 30, 2020
1940sFrom the Archivenews

Ellis & May Titche Wartime Correspondence Goes Digital

We're thrilled to share with you a selection of audio recordings from the Ellis & May Titche Wartime Correspondence Collection. Mel Ginsburg, a dedicated long-time volunteer of DJHS, has been working hard to record letters from Ellis Titche to May Levy during their courtship and early marriage during the WWII Era.  There are many, many more letters to share, but here is a selection from the earliest days, August 1943. From the beginning, May kept and labeled each letter she received from Ellis. May's letters in the collection begin a little later, in Spring 1944. Because of this, the conversation seems a little one-sided, but not for long.  Listen below, or visit our SoundCloud.
DJHS Admin
April 29, 2020
From the Archive

350 Years of Jewish life in America Medal, 1654-2004

September 2004 marked the 350th anniversary of Jewish settlement in North America. In honor of 350 years, the Jewish-American Hall of Fame Division of the American Jewish Historical Society commissioned artist Dana Krinsky to create a medal to celebrate. The medal was available in bronze, silver, and vermeil, and this particular medal is the silver version. Designer Dana Krinsky has inscribed the words of George Washington and a quote from Leviticus. A group of men, women, and children are shown on a journey of liberation; the stars and horizontal stripes refer to the American flag.  From the Renee Stanley Collection
DJHS Admin
April 28, 2020
From the Archive

Samuel Bak, Star of David Brooch

Samuel Bak was born in 1933 in Vilna, Poland. While he and his mother survived, his father and four grandparents all perished at the hands of the Nazis. Bak’s work is an expression of his Jewish roots and past experiences. He created this piece for The Golda Meir Israel Honor Club Members, which is an honor society of women who purchase a minimum of $5,000.00 in Israel Bonds. The design has two loops on the back for the women to wear as either a necklace or as a brooch. The brooch design was offered in a two-toned gold and silver, and a solid gold. Some designs feature pearls or turquoise stones, and some have no stones at all. He currently lives and works in Boston, Massachusetts at age 86. From the Ginger Jacobs Collection
DJHS Admin
April 23, 2020
From the Archive

Menashe Kadishman, Abstract Pin, 1982

Menashe Kadishman was born in August 1932, and died May 2015 at age 82. Kadishman was an Israeli painter and sculptor, and is known for his colorful sheep paintings and large metal sculptures; one of which is featured on the grounds of Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum in Israel. The Nasher Sculpture Center in Dallas has one of his sculptures, “Segments” from 1968, on display on the lawn. From the Ginger Jacobs Collection
DJHS Admin
April 20, 2020
From the Archive

OPA 1 Red Point

These four red ration coins from World War II were created by the Office of Price Administration, after the United States was attacked at Pearl Harbor. “The functions of the OPA were originally to control money (price controls) and rents after the outbreak of World War II.” The tokens were used from 1942-1945, and each household would receive an allotted amount based on job, number of family members, ages, children, handicapped, and elderly. “Red OPA,’ used for meats and fats, are a lot more common than blue ones, which were used for processed foods.
DJHS Admin
April 16, 2020
From the Archive

Wooden Hat Stretcher

This is a two way millinery form. With the starting hat size of 6 5/8 or 20 7/8 inches, it is the size of a youth’s hat. The middle bar rotates to open the form from both the top and bottom to create a bigger size, or for proper hat storage.
DJHS Admin
April 14, 2020
From the Archive

Camp Wallace Wallet

This Camp Wallace Wallet made of blue and green stamped leather, and bound with leather twine, in green, red, and white was donated by Alex Ray as part of the Ray Family Collection. Camp Wallace was named after Colonel Elmer J. Wallace and opened on February 1, 1941. It was eventually used for training for antiaircraft units during World War II, and was used as a German Prisoner of War detention camp throughout the war.
DJHS Admin
April 9, 2020
From the Archive

“F.B.W.” Camera

This No. 3A Folding Pocket Ansco camera was purchased in Dallas and given as a gift to Frances Wolfe Garber  “F.B.W”, as a Forest Avenue High graduation present in 1923.  Originally priced at $25.00 back in 1913, this camera was well worth the investment, as it was still operational in 1972 when Frances traveled with it to Israel. The camera features two tripod sockets, 3 1/4 x 5 1/2 inch film negatives, and the ruby window on the back of the camera indicates what number photo you’re on.  Donated September 11, 1995                           Frances Wolfe Garber Collection
DJHS Admin
April 7, 2020