Originally drawn in 1893 and reprinted in 1902, the United States Geological Survey topographical map presents Dallas County with city, road, and elevation makers. A closer look reveals to viewers water and man-made features characteristic to topography and topographical maps. The accompanying letter from 1899 US Geological Survey Director, J.W. Powell provides a description of topographical cartography markers.
Each of the four exhibited maps can tell their own story of growth and progress for the city of Dallas and communities within Dallas County. Together they tell a larger story of growth and change in and between communities.
For instance, the yellow highlighted streets on the Bus Tour map were once an area known as “Little Jerusalem” filled with Jewish-owned businesses, which is now known as “Little Mexico” for the large Hispanic community that lives there today.
As the city grew, established communities moved to newer areas and new cultural populations moved into the older neighborhoods.