This is a nurse’s uniform hat from the Red Cross from around August 1948. The online guide states: Indoor Uniform: Figure 73 Commando blue seersucker or blue poplin (latest selection since seersucker no longer obtainable) one-piece dress with either long or short sleeves, convertible collar, and 2-inch woven red cross on the upper pocket. Cap: Matching buttoned cap with 1-inch red cross centered on front of facing.
Red Cross Uniform Guide
Online photo of the complete nurses outfit, for reference
Here we have a metal shoehorn from the E. M. Kahn and Company, “Complete Outfitters to Men & Boys,” which was located on Main and Elm, at Lamar. The founder Emanuel Meyer Kahn, a Jewish immigrant from Alsace-Lorraine, France, founded the E.M. Kahn Company in Dallas in 1872 at the age of 21. He was one of the first businesses in Dallas to put price tags on his merchandise, rather than haggling, which was normal with customers. The company was a retailer of menswear and eventually had girls and women’s departments, with multiple locations.
The business continued for ninety-two years as a family-owned business and had the distinction of being the oldest retail store in Dallas, as well as the city’s first air-conditioned store. It was known that E. M. Kahn, always stood out in a crowd, immaculately dressed in a chocolate-brown suit.