On June 22, 1958 the television station WBAP-TV stated on their broadcast “The Dallas’ Jewish community turns out this evening at Northaven and Valleydale for the birth of a new community center.”
“The mayor praises a friend of 36 years Julius Schepps, for whom the new center is named – as a “front-row citizen…one of the men who made Dallas the great city it is” (UNT Digital Library).
This hand shovel was used at the Julius Schepps community center groundbreaking on April 9, 1961. The Julius Schepps Community Center, is now The Aaron Family Jewish Community Center of Dallas; whose mission is to bring the community together by providing state-of-the-art facilities and exceptional programs in an inclusive environment defined by Jewish values and culture.
Why was the name changed?